Tuesday, May 17, 2011

This Week in Books











via 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 
I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that I read Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise while in Florida (think The Great Gatsby meets Catcher in the Rye). The book depicts themes of the American dream and the lives of the nouveau riche in the twenties, along with protagonist Amory Blaine's quest for love and identity during his younger years. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and in addition to both Catcher and Gatsby, think it has one of the best last lines I've come across.

"I know myself, " he cried, "but that is all."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise


“Don’t ever tell anybody anything, if you do, you start missing everybody.”
 -J.D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby 
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This Side of Paradise is one of my favorite books! A lot of people don't know that it very closely echoes Fitzgerald's own life. He too grew up in St. Paul, Minnesota, and went east for school, etc. I grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis, and we all had to visit the F. Scott Fitzgerald house in St. Paul in elementary school :-)

    ReplyDelete