Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Color-on-Color Effect


My parents renovated their waterfront home down to the studs about 10 years ago. They have a new layout, kitchen and master bedroom they really love. The guests rooms on the west side of the house, however, are in need of a facelift. My mom asked me to help her starting with the jack and jill bathroom. The tile is in great condition, but the vanity is beginning to look dated and the wallpaper is totally 90's.

This will be a budget makeover so we will start by painting the vanities a dark brown color to give them a fresh look. We also decided to try a stenciling color-on-color technique for the walls. We'll begin by painting them in a soft blue-gray satin finish shade. Once that dries and we line the tile with painters tape and stencil a design in the SAME color, but instead of a satin finish, we'll use a semi-gloss finish. I prefer this idea opposed to using a different color, especially in a small space like a bathroom. It will offer just enough contrast and depth in the confined space.

I just started my stencil search and have come up with a few contenders. Apartment Therapy has a great guide on where to buy them and I found my favorites on a site called Sunny's Goodtime Paints. They have a great selection. Here are some of the choices so far.







No comments:

Post a Comment