Monday, February 22, 2010

Exciting News!

I got the exciting news yesterday that I'm the lucky inheritor of our family's early-twentieth century pedestal dining room table! My brother has been in possession of it for the last few years and recently had it refinished (thanks for doing the dirty work, Zach). I'm excited to replace my $80.00 Craigslist table with this beautiful claw foot pedestal mahogany piece- not only is it nicer, it also has much more sentimental value as it has been in the family for several years.

To incorporate some contrast into our dining space, I would like to get four upholstered chairs to go with our new table and I've narrowed down my search to a few possibilities. Frankly, I'm not at the point in my life where I'm willing to spend several thousand dollars on chairs like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware think I am (seriously, RH has a chair ON SALE for $340 right now!), so the plan is to find some used chairs on Craigslist, at estate sales or antique shops that I can upholster to look new and fresh.

Pottery Barn has a few great options:



I really like the nail-head trim on these chairs. Also, finding chairs with a wooden frame would make the upholstery project more affordable since I could do it on my own.


These chairs are a good size and I like the rounded backs of Louis style.



These chairs have lovely old-world charm. In this instance, I would make seat cushions.

Ballard Designs also has two intriguing options:


Purchasing a sete or bench seat like this would allow for more seating. I love the idea of creating an eating nook to host long dinner parties or wine tastings.

This Parsons chair frame can be purchased for a mere $129.00. If I found a reasonably-priced shop that could upholster the chairs, this give me another affordable possibility for the dining room space.




1 comment:

  1. Liv, I enjoyed reading about your trip to Birm. The chairs are lovely. You might also check out IKEa. I love you, Momsley

    ReplyDelete